Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Friend Who is Going to Miss Her Friend


                                                                                                                        February 22, 2013


Good Afternoon….

 
My name is Fran and like many of you, Debbie’s friend…well I would go as far as to say Debbie and I were best friends.  I always refer to Debbie as my best “Mom” friend.  Debbie and I met through our kids.  I am not sure our paths would have crossed if it weren’t for our kids. 


I can’t say for sure why we became friends….was it because we both were married to older men who love sports, (sorry Pete) was it because we both love margaritas, was it because we both were the same age or was it just meant to be.

 
Many people meet their best friends as young children playing on the playground, sitting next to each other in elementary school (which ironically both our sons, Jake and Derek do) or on a sports field.  But it took me 32 years to find my best friend, a friendship that lasted six years but will last a lifetime in my heart.


I am a friend who is going to miss her best friend.

 

I am going to miss…..

 
Sitting on the cold bleachers watching our sons play baseball…well not really watch because we talked the whole time and rarely knew the score when the game was over.

I am going to miss…..


Texting my friend late at night retelling a story about a bad parenting choice I made or how funny Si was on Duck Dynasty that night.


I am going to miss…..


Dreaming of the day we would both turn 40 on a beach in Key West sipping Margaritas

With our husbands at our side….because even though we would complain about them on a regular basis, we knew we would never want to spend a moment without them by our side.


I am going to miss….

 
The companionship of someone who really understood me and accepted me for all my quirks. 

 
I am a friend who is going to miss her best friend.


However, I am also a friend who was so touched by Debbie that….

I will always remember….


The infectious smile she had on her face no matter what.  It seemed that even when the cards were stacked against her (and they seemed to be that way often) always found a way to smile through it.


I will always remember….

 
The sarcastic and sassy humor Debbie had on a regular basis.  She would get a little twinkle in her crystal blue eyes when she was up to no good.


I will always remember….


How she had a memory like an elephant…she is the friend that would always remember to celebrate EVERY holiday, a friend who would always remember your birthday and the friend who always remembered how your husband loved to imitate Vanilla Ice after a couple of beverages.

 
I am a friend who also knows that Debbie’s legacy will live on.  Debbie is alive each and every day through her beautiful children.  I see Debbie through Jake’s inner strength, Zach’s carefree lifestyle and Nick’s sassiness.  Debbie is with us every day whether we can see her or not.

 
Because of Debbie, I know I will drink a few more margaritas and listen to Darius Rucker a little more often….

 
I know that when the world seems to be crashing down around me I will dig a little bit deeper and fight a little bit harder

 
Because of Debbie I know I will be a better person, friend, wife and mother.  I will be a better person because our paths crossed. 


Because of Debbie, I suspect that we will all be a little more resilient in face of adversity; we will smile more when the skies are grey and we will hug our loved ones a little tighter.

 
I am a friend who also has come to realize that because Debbie was such an extraordinary person, friend, wife and mother that God not only choose her to be an amazing Mom to three wonderful sons here on earth but also someone who would watch over all the fantastically wonderful kids in heaven who need someone to teach them, do crafts with them or just support them in all things.

 
She has a special place in all of our hearts.  In fact, she sent me a message through our new favorite website Pinterest, that she would like everyone to leave here today with…..


It is a message from one friend, Pooh, to his best friend Piglet.


If ever there comes a day when we can’t be together,

Keep me in your heart and I will be there forever.

 
Debbie you are forever in my heart.  I love you…..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment